Instagram

Thursday, January 7, 2016

Kobe Bryant: What Could Have Been


Kobe Bryant will go down as one of the greatest basketball players to ever play the game, and in my opinion, the only player in the same category as Jordan. All other players in the conversation for the "GOAT" are different types of players. To compare them would be as they say, "comparing apples to oranges." It's just not the same.

Kobe has played every game of his NBA career in an LA Lakers uniform, whether it be as #8 or #24. However, he is technically not a lifetime Laker. Kobe spent just 15 short days as a member of my favorite, and local team, the Charlotte Hornets.

The Hornets told Kobe the day after he was drafted "they had no use for me and they were going to trade me." Kobe was later traded to the Lakers for Vlade Divac. In the 1996-1997 season, this move seemed to be the right choice for the Hornets, as they improved from 41-41 to 54-28. We now know that this trade was in fact not the right move, but hindsight is always 20-20.

Bryant, in his decorated career, has piled up 5 NBA Championships (2000-2002) & (2009-2010), 2 NBA Finals MVP's (2009-2010), NBA Most Valuable Player (2008), 17 NBA All Star appearances (1998, 2000-2015, so far...), 4 NBA All Star Game MVPs (2002, 2007, 2009, 2011), and 11 All-NBA First Team appearances (2002-2004, 2006-2013) among many other accolades and awards. And all of this could have been right in my backyard. Would he have still managed to pile up the same awards? More? Less? No one knows for sure, but I strongly believe that Kobe would have been able to have this type of Hall of Fame career for any team in the league. If only it had been with the Hornets.

I'm not going to lie and say I was a huge NBA fan growing up, or even a huge Hornets/Bobcats fan; don't get me wrong. I have pulled for the Hornets and have always tried to keep up with them, just not to the level I do some of my other favorite teams (Atlanta Braves, Carolina Panthers, NC State). However, I will say, when it came to the NBA, the thing I enjoyed most was watching my favorite player: Kobe. He was someone I loved watching play because, to me, there was no one in any sport who was as competitive, played as hard, or wanted to win more.

When Kobe announced his retirement earlier this year, I knew that this would be my only chance to see my favorite player in person. What better time to see him than his farewell tour? Ticket prices were starting to rise, so I quickly decided where I wanted to sit, and pulled the trigger, going with the closest tickets to the Lakers bench and tunnel that were still available.

In the weeks leading up to the game, I got more and more excited. On game day, I felt like a little kid on Christmas. I waited awhile after the game before writing this article because I have been busy with holiday and birthday plans, but also to see if I could really put the experience into words. I decided the pictures would tell a much better story than I ever could.


Fit Grid for the night: RPM West slim selvedge denim, Kickin' Up A Notch 3M v-neck, Kobe X "Christmas/5 Rings," and Custom Kobe #8 Hornets Jersey






Kobe X "Christmas/5 Rings"




Shot from downtown Charlotte in the custom Hornets Kobe #8 "what could have been" jersey. Lots of questions from fans like, "did you buy that here?" and "where did you get that jersey?!" Along with lots of people commenting on how great of an idea it was.




Pre-game, waiting to get into Time Warner Cable Arena





My view





Waiting on the GOAT





Shoot-around





National Anthem





Panoramic shot of one of the largest crowds Time Warner Cable has ever seen





Kobe's Intro





Message from Jordan to Kobe; GOAT to 2nd GOAT





Lakers win the tip








Kicks and the Seats





Kobe getting ice on his shoulder in the 3rd quarter. I, along with everyone around me, was scared he may be done for the game.















The last trip to the bench


The Hornets won the game with a final score of 108-98. Kobe played 32 minutes, scored 20 points and added 4 rebounds and 2 assists. However, the Hornets Kemba Walker stole the show playing 42 minutes, scoring 38 points and added 6 rebounds and 5 assists.


This was a once and a life time type of experience for me, and I'm glad I could share it with you. I hope you are able to catch Kobe one last time in your hometown, and if you have the chance I highly recommend it!

1 comment:

  1. I went to Kobe's last game in Los Angeles too. This is a sweet custom Hornets jersey! I bought another AMAZING Kobe Bryant Charlotte Hornets jersey from this shop: www.JordansSecretStuff.com

    Thanks for sharing mate!

    ReplyDelete